On this harvest spoon… Eggy Mac!
With a craving for carbonara, but the laziness preventing me from getting bacon, I was left with eggy mac and cheese. This is definitely not carbonara, but it is made creamy in the same way as carbonara, with eggs.
This dish is a quick and easy mac and cheese since a bechamel does not need to be made. This eggy mac only requires 6 ingredients: pasta, eggs, parm or pecorino, lemon, salt, and pepper. Traditional mac requires many more. I also thought this was lighter than mac since because you aren’t making a bechamel, you don’t have to flavor your bechamel with tons of cheese.
This mac has a creamy sauce from the eggs and it is so easy and delicious.
Give it a try!
- 16 oz pasta
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup parmesan or pecorino
- Salt and pepper
- Mix your eggs, cheese, and enough salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Cook your pasta very al dente.You want them tough so that they can continue to cook in the sauce. Make sure your water is salted; this is necessary because your pasta water will be used in your sauce and you don’t want your sauce to be lacking sauce. Also, make sure you reserve 2 cups of pasta water. Drain pasta and put back into your pot
- Add most of your pasta water to your egg mixture and mix it quickly to temper the eggs so that they don’t scramble. Add the egg mixture to the pasta and mix quickly. At first, the dish may look watery, but once the egg cooks, it will thicken the sauce. Turn the heat on low to get the temp up a little and so that you can get the sauce thickening.
- TIPS if your sauce goes wrong.
- If your sauce is too thick- thin it out with a little pasta water.
- If your sauce is too thin or too salty- Crack an egg in a bowl and mix it with some of your pasta water. Add this to your pasta and mix quickly until it thickens.